Company : Africa Institute of Management (AIM)
Location : Kampala
Deadline : 16th December 2016
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Accounts Assistant (AA) is charged with the primary responsibility of providing a range of financial assistance in support of the AIM programmes, and the incumbent will be part of the team responsible for maintaining an efficient and accurate Accounting function for the Institute. The position reports to the Country Office Manager (COM) but the incumbent works closely with the other staff members.
SUMMARY OF WORK RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintain, update and reconcile the following on a periodic basis:
- All bank accounts and the related bank reconciliations;
- Petty cash and all relevant records;
- Fixed Assets Register;
- Finance section stationery supplies; including the key books of accounting
- Prepare payment requests and the related payments
- Prepare Purchase Orders and maintain records of receipt of, and payments for goods/services.
2. Check and ensure all processes are in order on a periodic basis:
- Daily receipts and bankings;
- Daily cash book postings;
- Monthly Accounts payable adjustments;
- Payroll calculations;
- Follow up payment and process outstanding accounts receivable invoices;
- Reconcile general ledger accounts as and when required using the Quick Books Accounting Software;
3. Accounting and Finance:
- Preparation of monthly and annual financial reports;
- Coordination of work and monitoring process of Finance Staff; Issue training Invoices and administer the fees payments in all the Institute’s banks;
- Provide logistical support to staff and monitor the movement of the office vehicle and ensure proper maintenance of the Daily Vehicle Use Record;
- Attending to Internal and External audits and facilitating both audit and assurance services;
- Preparation of the Institute’s payroll and making sure that there is full compliance with the Income Tax Act and NSSF Act;
- Timely preparation and remittance of all the taxes – VAT, PAYE, Withholding Tax, and any other taxes to the Tax Authority;
- Issue pay slips to the staff for the monthly salaries, benefits and deductions made to the staff;
4. Perform any other duties assigned from time to time.
4.0 REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Required education and experience:
- University degree in Management or Business Administration or other related field;
- Minimum Two (2) years of previous job experience in the field of accounting/finance, project management, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management, of which at least 3 months in a Management
- Training Institute or University.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel and Power Point;
- Ability to use modern ICT equipment: telephone exchange, scanner and fax;
- Experience/knowledge of managing petty cash and undertaking petty cash reconciliations;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Good interpersonal skills and experience in dealing with people/clients.
2. Competencies (Behaviors) required for the role:
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work under minimum or no supervision
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with an own initiative & self-decisiveness.
- Understanding of the Human Resource Practices, NSSF Act, Income Tax Act, and other Uganda Laws.
5.0 BASIS OF OFFER:
All positions above will be offered on a Fixed Term Appointment (FTA) contractual basis for ONE (1) year renewable
upon satisfactory performance on the provided responsibilities and/or Key Performance Areas.
6.0 SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
To apply, suitable applicants should send:
- A motivation letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) with names, addresses and working telephone contacts of Three (3) professional referees, of which ONE should be academic.
- Copies of academic transcripts (certified), degree certificates (certified), passport/voter’s card/valid driving permit, and latest Passport Photograph.
- Two letters of reference from professional referees and a letter from the LC1 Chairperson of where you live.
- Applications marked the position and career announcement number for which you are applying should be sent to the address stated below by December 16, 2016, which is the same as the closing date, therefore applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Equally, qualified women candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Please note there will be two types of interviews, a Written Test and an oral Competency Based Interview, and a
minimum score of 70% is required in the written test in order to become eligible for the Competency Based Interview.
Applications should be submitted to the following address:
The Country Operations Manager,
Africa Institute of Management
Plot 29 Stretcher Road (Ntinda)
P.O. Box, 24562, Kampala, Uganda.
We do appreciate your interest in working with us but to minimize on financial and administrative costs, only
short listed candidates will be contacted and for further information please contact us on the above address.