Company: WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION
Deadline: 15th MAY 2018
Provide technical assistance ata country level on priority concerns such as emergency preparedness, survelliance and reponse
UN National Officer Category (N0-C Grade Step 01)
WHO Country office, Uganda
Duration of contract.
6 months (renewable depening on Availability of funds)
The accounting data entry clerk will be responsible for the double entry of the information into the accounting software systems together with other bookkeeping duties such as coding, recording ,posting and processing day to day transactions
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative, and working in close collaboration with technical staff at headquarters, Regional and Country Office, the incumbent:
- Support the implementation of WHO activities in the area of Country Health Emergency Preparedness & International Health Regulations. (IHR 2005) including providing support lo the Ministry of Health and other sectors in activities which include: developing/updating national emergency preparedness and response plans; provision or assistance in risk assessments, and developing critical core capacities tor all-hazard health emergencies
- Provide technical assistance at country level on priority concerns such as: emergency preparedness, surveillance and response; strengthening health systems including early warning systems, establishing and maintaining operational readiness and essential public health functions.
- Support MoH in emergency response to public health emergency in line with the ERF framework and support the incident Management Team in the country in case of a graded emergency. Support the provision of data and information required for any WHE-related documents to be presented to WR and Regional Office.
- Establish and maintain close collaboration with a broad range of Ministry of Health staff, health facilities, DHOs and partners, to maintain effective emergency preparedness and response to public health events at national and district levels.
- Secure information from a broad range of health sector actors, analyze and consolidate health data into trends; and conduct trends assessments with particular attention to event and indicator based surveillance, monitoring and early warning systems tor priority diseases and events of public health concern.
- Under close technical guidance and supervision of the respective WHE unit, participate in monitoring internal WHO Country Office capacity to implement the WHO Emergency Response Framework (ERF) in collaboration with the other units within WCO. Participate in the development of strategies and implementation of intervention to build WCO capacity to ERF and IMS.
- Ensure close contact and collaboration with MoH and district health offices to ensure timely communication of events of potential health risks including disease outbreaks. Monitor trends and report potential Emergencies to ensure timely and coordinated response.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by WR
- Producing results
- Communicating in a credible and effective way.
- Fostering integration and team work.
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Setting an example.
- Promoting WHO‘s position in health leadership
Education and Processional Training
- Medical degree from a recognized university.
- Post graduate degree in Public Health and/or Epidemiology.
- Proficiency in computer skills, data analysis and results presentation and/or appropriate training/research skills.
- Other skills (e.g. IT)
- Competent in use of computer applications, including spreadsheets, MS Word, PowerPoint, EPIINFO, and statistical analysis and mapping software.
Practical Experience at the National or international experience essential
At least 7 years of practical experience in planning, monitoring and supervision of humanitarian response/emergency preparedness and response activities at national or regional/provincial or district level.
Skill and Ability
- Demonstrated knowledge of surveillance and monitoring systems as related to emergency preparedness and response
- Complemented by skills in the field of epidemiological or statistical data collection, assessment, analysis and the evaluation and monitoring in a public health context
- Ability to conceptualize and promote innovative strategies and policies.
- Ability to communicate and write in a clear and concise manner, and to develop effective guidelines
- Excellent negotiation and interpersonal skills complemented by ability to motivate and lead others, and to promote consensus
- Ability for research and innovations to address critical gaps
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
Job application procedure
Applications accompanied by detailed Curriculum Vitae and copies of certiﬁcates, diplomas and testimonials should be addressed to:
The WHO Representative
60 prince Charles Drive
P.O Box 24678 Kampala
N.B Only shortlisted Candidates will be contacted