Company : INFECTIOUS DISEASES INSITITUTE (IDI)
Location : Kampala
Deadline : 31st August 2018
Job Summary :
Monitor and implement all clinical and capacity building projects and ensure that capacity building material and content is of desired quality and in line with the Ministry of Health and WHO guidelines and procedures as well as in line with the Ugandan national priorities.
Background : The mission of the infectious Diseases institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research, and capacity development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University-John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
The Ugandan Academy for Health Innovation and impact (‘The Academy’) is one of the projects housed within the IDI whose mission is to improve health outcomes through innovations in clinical care, capacity building, systems strengthening and research, which inform policy and practice, with a strong emphasis on Hl\/ and TB. The Academy manages funding for projects in clinical development, operational research and capacity building as well developing a pipeline of new innovations.
Reporting to the Academy Director, the Deputy Director will work with the Director to oversee the clinical and scientific aspects of the Academy and will be responsible for co-ordination of clinical and research aspects of the Academy supported projects (both within IDI and with sub-granted partners).
Major Roles and Responsibilities
- Monitor and implement all clinical and capacity building projects and ensure that capacity building material and content is of desired quality and in line with the Ministry of Health and WHO guidelines and procedures as well as in line with the Ugandan national priorities.
- Develop Project M&E frameworks and ensure that they have sound and clinically relevant impacts
- Coordinate and fully contribute to resource mobilisation including partnership development and networking.
- Work with the IDI departments and other Academy stakeholder to develop a pipeline oi innovations leading to collaborative innovative projects
- Provide technical support to the strategic development of the Academy including partnership development and development of the Academy value proposition.
- Provide support to the Programme Manager and the Director in monitoring and implementing the performance of the Academy sub-granting process including budgeting and reporting in line with the Academy policies and guidelines.
- Provide technical support and mentorship to the Academy sub grantees and conduct support supervision for clinical research projects in line with the sub granting guidelines.
- At least a Masters degree in a medically related public health, technology or related ﬁeld
- A medical or pharmacy Bachelors degree would be an advantage
- Training in project planning and management is desirable
- At least 5 years’ experience of working in project implementation in the health care setting.
- Experience in managing a multi-disciplinary team of staff
- Experience in resource generation activities Experience managing multi-year and complex budgets
- Desire to grow and sustain a programme of activities, with innovative ideas for projects and for resource generation
- Interest in innovations (low and high tech) and their application to health
- Able to form working relationship with senior, government and private sector organizations and individuals
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills. presenting at local and international conferences/ meetings
- Up to date knowledge on innovations in HIV/ TB and maternal health in LMIC especially sub-Saharan Africa
Job Application Procedure
Please note that:
- IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other lees at any stage of the recruitment process
- Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject for your email and make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached as one document
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. The Senior Human Resource Manager infectious Diseases institute — IDI Knowledge Centre, Makerere University Main Campus College of Health Sciences, Makerere University P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda A detailed job description of the Deputy Director for the Academy can be found on the IDI website https://www.idi-makerere.com/opportunities/